| Nicki Minaj|
|Released||November 19, 2010|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B, pop|
|Label||Young Money, Cash Money, Universal Motown|
|Writer||Onika Maraj, Daniel Johnson|
|Pink Friday track listing|
|"I'm the Best" is track number 1.|
| Previous track|
| Next track|
"I'm the Best" is a song by Nicki Minaj from her debut studio album Pink Friday. The song is the opening track for the album. It was written by Onika Maraj, and Daniel Johnson, and it was produced by Kane Beatz. It was released on November 19, 2010, with the whole album. On December 19, 2014, Minaj revealed during a CRWN interview with Elliot Willson that she "kinda hates" the song.
In Nicki Minaj's iTunes Ping, Nicki began a "Pink Friday Diaries" initiative wherein she gave her own insight on the conception, development, and meaning of a selection of songs on her upcoming album; her entry on "I'm the Best" is as follows:
"I'm the best" is the intro to my album. It chronicles my journey from underground rapper to border-line mainstream artist. It speaks about the doubters in my life and it speaks about overcoming every challenge I was ever faced with. It's a toast to the girls who've gone hard. Who've been told they'd never make it. It's also the only song where I speak about my family and childhood. Though hard to speak about at times, it's necessary for my healing process. #ItsPinkFridayHoe ;)—Nicki Minaj, iTunes Ping "Pink Friday Diaries," November 10, 2010
"I'm the Best" is in the key of D Major and follows the chord progression, "D, B-minor, G, A". The instrumentation features synths, a real violin during the bridge and rapid digital drumming.
Lyrically, the song is about Minaj's rise to fame, her new superstar life and that she doesn't care if male hip-hop heads don't give her some esteem because she is poised for something bigger.
I'm the Best received mostly positive reviews from music critics. Marc Hogan from Spin gave the song a very positive review calling it "triumphant" and appreciate Kane Beatz production saying that "it's at once origin myth and glass ceiling." Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stones called the song a "standout opener", noticing that "she's already rapping about the superstar life."
Bradley Stern from MuuMuse.com gave the song a poisitve review, stating that the song is one of the "exceptions" of the album: “If she wasn’t about to dwell on the matter for the duration of the album in a ceaseless flood of songs about making it big, the track would shine brightly." PrettyMuchAmazing.com reviewed that the song "while not devoid of rough patches, live up to that expectation."
Kathy Iandoli from HipHop DX gave the song a mixed review saying that "is geared for the mainstream" but compliment about Nicki's lyrics that "don’t falter, despite being clogged with a syrup drenched MPC."
- Recorded at: Glenwood Place Studios, Burbank, CA
- Mixed at Glenwood Place Studios, Burbank, CA & Daddy’s House Studios, NYC.
- Writers: O. Maraj, D. Johnson
- Producers: Kane Beats
- Recorded by: Ariel Chobaz
- Recording Assistant: Lyttleton “Cartwheel” Carter
- Mixed by: Ariel Chobaz
- Mix Assistant: Lyttleton “Cartwheel” Carter
"I'm the Best" (Nicki Minaj) 
Uh, yo. Yo.
- ↑ Pink Friday Diaries on Nicki Miaj's Facebook page Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Pink Friday Review by Marc Hogan, Spin.com Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Pink Friday - Album Review - Rolling Stones Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- ↑ Nicki Minaj: Pink Friday (Album Review) by Bradley Stern Retrieved June 18, 2012
- ↑ ALBUM REVIEW: Nicki Minaj – Pink Friday Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- ↑ Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday by Kathy Iandoli Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- ↑ Digital booklet of Pink Friday
- ↑ AZ Lyrics: NICKI MINAJ LYRICS - I'm the Best at AZlyrics Retrieved June 27, 2012.